Having trouble getting a crystal clear bong like it was when you first bought it? Well here's some easy quick tips on what you can do to get it back to that point. But first let's go over some reasons why you should clean.
Why should you should clean your bong regularly?
Dirty bong water can be a health hazard and it is recommended that you clean your bong daily or after each use. Cleaning it daily will also make the cleaning process a lot easier with less alcohol, so don't procrastinate!
What are the health concerns with dirty bong water?
Dirty bong water can carry toxins and biofilm that contains spores of mold, bacteria, and thousands of microorganisms. These of course are pretty harmful for your body. Imagine how many of these toxins are setting in your bong after 24 hours... Continued use without cleaning can lead to severe health issues including mold ingestion, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), and many other respiratory related problems. Ever get a headache after burning down some fire out of your dirty bong? These are signs that you are poisoning yourself.
So let's get into the cleaning process!
Here's what you'll need:
- Coarse sea salt
- 99% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
- Two large zipper storage bags
- Rubber stoppers or bong plugs
- Step one: Carefully remove the bowl and downstem
- Step two: Take the downstem and bowl and place them into separate baggies with the coarse sea salt and rubbing alcohol in each of them. You can let them set awhile in the alcohol depending on how dirty they are.
- Step three: Take your bong and pour out the dirty water and replace it with alcohol and some sea salt. Preferably add 1/4 cup of alcohol in the bong and let it set.
- Step four: After letting it set, plug the holes of your bong, and then shake it until there's little to no debri is left. You can find plugs for your bong on BCuteBU, or your local head shop, along with other cleaning supplies.
- Step five: Pour out the alcohol and rinse each piece thoroughly to remove residual residue. If your bong is still dirty repeat steps until clean. Pipe cleaners can be used to clean filters and other harder to reach areas.
Other Processes for cleaning:
You can also place your bong in boiling water to clean it. Place it into a pot large enough over your stove and let it sit there for a moment. Take it out and let it cool. Once cool shake it and pour out the remains. Depending on how dirty it is you might want to follow this step with alcohol.
Besides home remedies there are also products you can use design specifically for this process. You find these at your local head shops.
Keep your bongs clean can not only help prevent a health hazard but can also maintain the taste of your kush. Not a lot of people like the taste of stall old dirty bong water with there hit. The smell isn't great either. So take of your precious piece(s) and your health by cleaning that bong!